+49 2132 9988710 Get in touch with kreta.com the travel experts for Crete
+49 2132 9988710 Get in touch with kreta.com the travel experts for Crete Inquiry form

Preveli Monastery - South Crete

  • South Crete
  • South Crete
  • South Crete
The Preveli Monastery is located above the mouth of the Preveli Gorge with a view of the Libyan Sea in southern Crete near the coastal village Plakias. It consists of two building complexes, the Piso "rear monastery" and the "lower" monastery, which are 2 kilometers apart. There are numerous legends related to the founding of the monastery. Like most of the Cretan monasteries, the Preveli Monastery is from the Venetian era. At that time, two large monasteries and numerous smaller ones were allied to a comunity, which united the large Prevelis monastery. The lower monastery "Kato Monastiri" is the first one seen upon arrival coming from Rethymnon. It is consecrated St. John the Baptist. Today it is deserted and distroid. The rear Preveli monastery "Piso Monastiri" is dedicated to Saint John the Divine (Theologos).

The Katholicon, the main church, is located in the middle of the small cloister complex surrounded by the monks' cells, which are built into the rock due to the slope. The most valuable heirlooms of the monastery include an icon of Christ, a work by the icon painter Michael Prevelis from 1750 and the icon of St. John the Divine (Theologos) from the 13th century. A small path leads to 2 viewing platforms coming with wonderful views of the Libyan Sea and the Preveli palm gorge. The Preveli Monastery “Piso Monastiri” is architecturally very interesting and worth to visit.

Preveli Monastery

The Preveli Monastery is located above the mouth of the Preveli Gorge with a view of the Libyan Sea in southern Crete near the coastal village Plakias. It consists of two building complexes, the Piso "rear monastery" and the "lower" monastery, which are 2 kilometers apart. There are numerous legends related to the founding of the monastery. Like most of the Cretan monasteries, the Preveli Monastery is from the Venetian era. At that time, two large monasteries and numerous smaller ones were allied to a comunity, which united the large Prevelis monastery. The lower monastery "Kato Monastiri" is the first one seen upon arrival coming from Rethymnon. It is consecrated St. John the Baptist. Today it is deserted and distroid. The rear Preveli monastery "Piso Monastiri" is dedicated to Saint John the Divine (Theologos).

The Katholicon, the main church, is located in the middle of the small cloister complex surrounded by the monks' cells, which are built into the rock due to the slope. The most valuable heirlooms of the monastery include an icon of Christ, a work by the icon painter Michael Prevelis from 1750 and the icon of St. John the Divine (Theologos) from the 13th century. A small path leads to 2 viewing platforms coming with wonderful views of the Libyan Sea and the Preveli palm gorge. The Preveli Monastery “Piso Monastiri” is architecturally very interesting and worth to visit.
South Crete, Preveli Monastery
kreta.com